Nick Houlihan, Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (AUS)
Government and Growing Cities
The Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) and its partner agencies including Parks Victoria, play key roles in planning and delivering solutions to the challenges posed by growing cities. Challenges include population growth, diversification, densification, urban sprawl and urbanisation of regional areas. Core to the responsibilities of DELWP and Parks Victoria are:
- The provision of green infrastructure and use of public land to support the liveability of growing cities for our communities; and
- Identifying opportunities to improve our approach to locating and designing open space as demands on our open space increase.
Government is responsible for:
- Providing a robust strategic planning framework for open space (strategy);
- Delivering projects that provide open space (actions); and
- Using good data, technology, innovation and advice to deliver open space (tools) .
- Examples will span established metropolitan areas, growth areas and regional centres.